Monday, March 29, 2010

NEW ARTIST POST: 3/29/10 HELEN JONES




Helen Jones is a local Photographer in Norfolk, Virginia with a studio space at the Hermitage Museum and Gardens. I chose to write about her pictures because my fiance always teases me because I take a lot of pictures of trees. For whatever reason i am always drawn to their beauty and complexity. 


Her series is called Norfolk's Urban Forest, she describes the function of trees, what they do and how the benefit us. This is not her reasoning for photographing them. She is inspired by the power that trees possess. "It is, instead, the iconic power trees have always possessed that excites me. When I travel to distant lands, I'm always drawn to photograph this power trees create in a landscape. They comfort or inspire. They conjure up fear or suggest the complexity of age. They also symbolize a land, its people and their stewardship of the specific piece of earth they occupy."


I really appreciated the way she speaks and I feel like she says how I feel about the trees that I photograph. They have some kind of power that draws me to wonder how long it has stood and what worlds it would have seen if it could. 


The photograph on the left is my favorite because the trees are engulfed by this vine that seems to be protecting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment